joshua kery

Glitches in the Museum

User Interface Design & Unity Development

MEDIUM

WebGL Desktop Game

WHEN

July, 2020

CLIENT

The Children's Museum of Pittsburgh

MY ROLE

UI Design, Unity Development

TEAM

Sitong Chen
Amelia (Xi) Li
Aiden (Chonghui) Sun

GOAL

Connect visitors' home computers to ARCADE Lab's AR experience at the museum

TOOLS

Adobe Illustrator
Figma
Unity

OVERVIEW

MuseumLab, at the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh, has been closed for quarantine, and this includes ARCADE Lab's augmented reality works located inside.

ARCADE Lab wanted to develop a game for visitors' home computers that connected them to the AR experience at the museum.

Introducing: Glitches in the Museum, a spy game that casts you as a security guard, trying to remotely help some invasive glitch characters play with the activites in MuseumLab.

FINAL PRODUCT

Players play as a security guard seeing the closed museum space through cameras.

Colorful glitches have appeared throughout the space, and the player must find and help each of them, just as the museum would help any visitor.

soundbooth

Players may zoom in on our characters and the photosphere, Google-Streetview style portal into the museum.

model closeup2

Glitches are hidden at first, but a handy spyglass will reveal them!

individual view1

Players get their daily mission brief and login when they first join, just like showing up to work as a real security guard.

mission brief

BACKGROUND

This work is a spin-off from ARCADE Lab's augmented reality creative annotation platform in development for MuseumLab.

That project features colorful characters and a breadth of 3D world-building tools, shared in augmented reality across multiple devices. It leverages new positions sensors installed at MuseumLab to accurately position objects in AR for multiple players.

arcade academy

PROCESS

Our first step was to model the visitor experience in a user flow diagram, from first learning about glitches appearing at the museum, to completing the game and making the final connection to a future AR experience.

This user flow was useful for reaching consensus with our developers for the goals of our game too!

We then began developing moodboards and sketching low-fi prototypes for the UI:

inspirations

We chose a sci-fi aesthetic to immerse players in a world that collapses technical glitches and physical space.

Next, we developed mid-fi prototypes of the layout and interactions:

We adapted our mid-fidelity prototypes into hi-fi mockups, which we used to export assets to Unity.

gallery view midfi gallery view hover

A working prototype, created in Figma, was useful for communicating the whole of the experience to our team:

We aggregated these assets into a style sheet:

style sheet

We used this style sheet as the basis for novel assets we created as our developers and project managers added new features to the game.

mission completed